Anyway, now that I've make you stupider with my thoughts, here's some more: my long roll of vacation, vegas, and birthday fun is at an end just in time for summer to kick into gear. S Dee is back in town, though, which is grand--I missed my little lass while she was away at church camp. And what did I do while my love was deeping her spiritual connections with the world? Why, I sinned of course:
If you can really call rock 'n roll a sin, that is. I hope so. Otherwise the threshold for sinning has gotten precipitously high. Perhaps drunkenness still counts?
I imbibed a large flaming punchbowl of liquor along with more than my share of shots and cheap beer, yet the next day I wasn't feeling so bad. Which helped, because it was Thursday and I had to work. It was completely worth it though. And if you don't believe me, just imagine the sweet sounds coming out of this man:
The sheet of paper took the brunt of his wrath. The rest of us just got to enjoy the music. And enjoy it we did, it was AWEsome. Everyone was awesome actually, but I was particularly awesomed by hannibalv, so I just thought I'd throw out a shout of awesomeness.
You can see all the mad bday pics, including one of my tongue precipitously close to Hobie's clipped melon. It's a little scary, but you can handle it. You're tough.
Per request, here's the evening's set list by our intrepid performers:
- bdar: Cult of Personality by In Living Colour
- Seamus did his usual rockin' bidness all over this one. My sis-in-law said she heard bdar ad-libbing, inserting Dick Cheney and other contemporary names at various appropriate points in the song. I missed this subtext entirely, but I still thought the song rocked.
- Me: I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones
- This is like Live Band Karaoke for dummies. Easy, great song.
- Beth: Chain of Fools by Aretha Franklin
- "For five long years," I've been karaoking with Bettie. Always brings it.
- arettber: Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi
- I think this song has been attempted at every karaoke event I've ever attended. This is the first time, however, anyone did it right. It's usually some drunk guy late in the night whose girlfriend has to hold him up while he sings every third word.
- hannibalv: Add it Up by The Violent Femmes
- Look, you just have to see John rock. This doesn't do it justice (though it's not bad).
- jrstraus: Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield
- Hot stuff from the LBK first-timer!
- Me: Are You Gonna Be My Girl by Jet
- I was pretty gone by this time and flubbed my way through the song. Still, I had fun doing it.
- hannibalv: Killing in the Name Of by Rage Against the Machine
- Oh man, it was like a thunderstorm passed through the room.
- arettber: Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison
- And after the thunder, sunshine! Funniest Karaoke transition EVAR!
Did I miss anything? Next time: Sabotage!